is the tty serial layer working in 2.6.0-testx?

I have run into another problem with 2.6.0-test2 and -test4.

I use a Pilot M505 which I have always synced using the serial port (I
never got around to getting it connected via USB). This has worked fine
under the 2.4.x series, but does not work now that I have started using
2.6.0-test2 and -test4.

I think the problem lies with the serial tty layer and not the
pilot-link interface, because "setserial -g /dev/ttyS0" returns
"/dev/ttyS0: No such device."

The output of "ls -l /dev/ttyS0" is:
crw-rw----  1	root pilot 4, 	64	<date>	/dev/ttyS0
which looks just fine and reviewing devices.txt in the kernel docs
indicate that the major/minor for this device hasn't changed.

I am pretty sure the drive is installed; here's the output of
"cat /proc/devices":
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 /dev/vc/0
  4 tty
  5 /dev/tty
  5 /dev/console
  5 /dev/ptmx
  6 lp
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 13 input
 14 sound
 21 sg
 29 fb
116 alsa
128 ptm
136 pts
171 ieee1394
180 usb
202 cpu/msr
226 drm

Block devices:
  2 fd
  3 ide0
 22 ide1

so it sure looks like the devices for tty are there.

I'm not sure how else to troubleshoot - does anyone have any ideas?

nl