Kernel Image and PPP packages with MPPE support for PPTP

(J'ai CC'd la liste debian-user-french par demande. Je ne parle pas francais, cependant.)

I am providing kernel-image and ppp packages for Debian/woody with a Microsoft Point-to-Point Encryption ("MPPE") module for the Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol ("PPTP").

Step 1.  Add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://www.vanadac.com/~dajhorn/projects/debian-pptp woody main
deb-src http://www.vanadac.com/~dajhorn/projects/debian-pptp woody main

Step 2.  Update the APT databases:

# apt-get update

Step 3.  Install the packages.

# apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-mppe
# apt-get install ppp
# apt-get install pptp-linux

(You may need to use the --reinstall switch if you already have the ppp or pptp-linux packages installed.)

Step 4.  Reboot the system.

# reboot

Step 5.  Populate /etc/ppp as required or desired.

This document is helpful:
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-debian.phtml

Notes:

- The bundled pam file is incompatible with Debian/woody. If you are running a PPP server, then you must make appropriate changes. This will be fixed in the package shortly. (Marco noticed the problem, thanks.)

- These packages are safe to use with pinning because the Release file exists and contains the appropriate information.

- The kernel-image revision corresponds to the kernel-source revision. If I change something, then 2.4.18-13.1 will be the next version number. If the official source changes, then 2.4.18-14 will be the next version number.

(This is slightly different than the way the official maintainer does it, but users might infer that it was built from -1 if I started at -1.)

- The MPPE patch changes the ppp core. A package that provides only the ppp_mppe.o module would, therefore, need to divert and provide ppp_generic.o also, which could cause breakage or unexpected side-effects with an official upgrade.

(Rather, I'm not willing to follow upstream that closely.)

- Security updates will be provided on a best-effort basis only.

(ie:  A few days after I become aware of the update.)

HTH, but YMMV.