Re: dealing with testing and security

On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 04:10  PM, Vineet Kumar wrote:

* Chad M Stewart (cms@balius.com) [030919 12:18]:

I'm tired of the stale nature of stable.  Last weekend I upgraded to
testing.  I'm wondering what is the recommended method of dealing with
security updates for testing?

DIY.

Should I downgrade and only upgrade the few packages that I want newer
versions of, like mailman, spamassassin, and bind.

Better still, stick with stable + backports.  You still have to watch
out for security updates for packages you get from 3rd party sources,
though.

Where can I learn about backports?  Or is this another DIY?  :)

While we're on the subject, I'd caution that "upgrade to testing" is
probably a misnomer.  What you've really done is volunteer to help test
the next version of Debian in a very early pre-release stage.  We all
appreciate everyone who does help test, but if this wasn't your
intention, you probably shouldn't be running on the testing branch.

Not really my intention.

-Chad-

good times,
Vineet