modconf under 2.6.0-test?

Thanks again to those who have offered great advice on getting
2.6.0-test2 up and running. I have a bootable system, got sound working
with relatively little trouble,so I'm continuing to work down myproblem
list.

Would appreciate thoughts on two more problems:

1) modconf doesn't find any modules. It just comes up with an empty
menu,with the only choice being "exit." I understood that modconf used
the output of uname to find the appropriate tree in /lib/modules, and
since that tree is where it should be, I am stumped. I do have the new
module-init-toosl installed, and I can install modules just fine.

2) Shutdown: as far as I can tell, the USB layer is trouble. In booting
up, I get a ton of usb related errors - no specifics yet, I'm trying to
narrow down where these are coming from first. However, on shutdown,
while dconfiguring the usb devices, the shutdown hangs and never
completes, so I just have to hard-reset the machine. I ran into this a
long time ago on an early 2.4 series kernel on an ASUS CUSL-2/Pentium
III system, and never figured out the problem. Wondered if anyone else
is seeing somehting similar.

For reference, the only USB device hooked up is an external Belkin hub
and a generic USB memory card reader (that handles CF, SM, etc). The
reader always worked fine under 2.4.x with the usb-storage module. I
actually haven't testing it yet to see if it reads cards under 2.6.0.

Thanks.
nl