Re: Non-US Packages

on Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:04:22PM -0700, Juan Pablo (jp_listas@yahoo.com) wrote:
> It's not clear to me what does Non-US mean?
> I read at
> http://www.debian.org/mirrors/list-non-US.html and I
> conclude it's about software wich is restricted to US (i.e. prohibited
> to export but available from other countries)

It depends on the restrictions.

Prior to ITAR regulations revision,s it was legal to import, but illegal
to export, strong crypto from/to the the US.  The rational response, of
course, was that most crypto development migrated offshore.

Additional restrictions arise from patent and other restrictions.

The non-US mirrors consist of _just_ the packages

All told, this accounts to 224 packages per my count (stable, testing,
and unstable).

> But then I found
> http://www.debian.org/mirror/mirrors_full.html and it
> says this are " packages that can't be distributed in the US due to
> software patents or use of encryption."

The full mirrors include _both_ the non-US and the unrestricted
packages.

> So, what's the truth?

Very expensive.

Peace.

    Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
    your ~/.signature to help me spread!