RE: failed upgrade to unstable... libxrender1

Michael Kahle wrote:
>Thanks Nick.  I tried what you suggested, but it seems that my problems
>are deeper than this.  I could not uninstall libxrender1 or 1.1, it
>said that a few other programs I had installed depended on it.  So, I
>removed those programs (nautilus, gnome-core, gnome-terminal,
>nautilus-cd-burn, etc.).  So now when I run "apt-get update" it tells
>me that it will install powermgmt-base and upgrade powermgmt-base, no
>mention of trying to force an install of libxrender1.  It also says
>the following:
>
>1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
>147 not fully installed or removed.
>[...other familiar stuff...]
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
>Preconfiguring packages...
>Selecting previously deselected package powermgmt-base.
>(Reading database ... 53420 files and directories currently installed.)
>Prepairing to replace powermgmt-base 1.6 (using
.../powermgmt-base_1.16_i386.deb)
>Unpacking replacement powermgmt-base ...
>Architecture-specific modutils configuration not found, using defaults
>cat: /etc/modprobe.d/arch/generic: Nosuch file or directory
>dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
>cat: /etc/modprobe.d/arch/generic: No such file or directory
>dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/powermgmt-base_1.16_i386.deb
(--u
>npack):
> subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>cat: /etc/modprobe.d/arch/generic: No such file or directory
>dpkg: errorwhile cleaning up:
> subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status1
>Errors wer encountered while processing:
> /var/cache/apt/archives/powermgmt-base_1.16_i386.deb
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>#
>
>So I tried to remove "powermgmt-base" and the following happened when
running
>"apt-get remove powermgmt-base"
>
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  powermgmt-base
>0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
>147 not fully installed or removed.
>Need to get 0B of archives.
>After unpacking 127kB disk space will be freed.
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
>
>Dpkg: error processing powermgmt-base (--remove):
> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
> reinstall it before attempting a removal.
>Errors were encountered while processing:
> powermgmt-base
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>#
>
>A little background here.  This is a LVM/RAID machine with a custom kernel.
>did not compile into the kernel APM support.  Would this be causing this
>problem?  That is the problem with the "Architecture-specific modutils
configuration
>not found" message that I am receiving?  I am a little lost here.

Ok, I took a look at the Debian reference manual:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html#s5.3.1

It gave me the following advice:
<snip>
5.3.1 Best upgrade practice using dselect
If a system has many packages which include -dev packages, etc., the
following method using dselect is recommended for fine-grained package
control.

     # dselect update  # always do this before upgrade
     # dselect select  # select additional packages
All your current packages will be selected when dselect starts. dselect may
prompt you with additional packages based on depends, suggests, and
recommends. If you do not want to add any packages, just type Q to exit
dselect again.

     # dselect install
You will have to answer some package configuration questions during this
part of the process, so have your notes ready and allow some time for this
part. See dselect, Section 6.2.3.

Use dselect. It always works :)
</snip>

So by running dselect I was able to remove both instances of libxrender,
where apt would not allow me to.  I was also able to uninstall
powermgmt-base through "dselect select".  These instructions worked
perfectly and my system is back up and running now to my satisfaction.

So let me ask this.  Why does apt-get not work as well as dselect?  Don't
both systems use dpkg to install the packages?  Why would I be successful
with dselect and not apt?

Thanks again for reading!

Michael