Re: Which FS to use ?

On Wednesday 17 Sep 2003 14:47, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> What kind of application is it that is "way too slow" with ext2? I use
> ext3 with an 80G drive and it is never slow. ext2 should've been
> faster. I can recommend ext3 as a good choice, it works great for me.
>
> Perhaps you don't have DMA turned on?

If you have an application that needs to pull lots of data really fast (using
directio) for long periods of time, you really should be using XFS. We tested
a load of filesystems where i am working and only xfs got the throuput we
needed (~430MB/s off a raid array) whereas the best ext3 and reiser (might
not have been reiser4 though) could get was about 350MB/s

Tom

--
 ^__^            | Tom Badran
 (oo)\______     | Imperial College
    ||     ||    | Using Debian SID

Linux 2.6.0-test5 #5 Tue Sep 9 14:46:35 BST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux