Re: No sourcing of ~/.profile at login

%% "Daniel B." <dsb@smart.net> writes:

  db> Paul Smith wrote:

  >> .. If you're using a graphical login manager like GDM or
  >> XDM, then these methods of login never actually invoke a login shell,

  db> Why not?  (Why shouldn't logging in via GDM execute your
  db> login-time shell initialization?)

I don't know, for sure, but that's the way it works and has always
worked (not just in Debian).  I agree that it seems logical that the
shell that the display manager invokes should be marked as a login
shell... but it doesn't.

What I do instead is find the X setup file (depending on what you're
running this might be ~/.xsession, ~/.gnomerc, etc.) and source the
profile explicitly.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortelnetworks.com>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools