Re: lilo problem

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed debain (woody) next to my current dist (mandrake 9.1).
> I added entries to mandrakes lilo.conf so that I could boot both debian
> and mandrake, I am sick of mandrake and want to completely switch to
> debian.
>
> I get the following error message when running lilo (on mandrake):
>
> Added linux *
> Added linux-nonfb
> Added failsafe
> Added windows
> Added floppy
> Added OldMandrake
> Fatal: open /vmlinuz: No such file or directory
>
> The last two entries in (mandrakes) /etc/lilo.conf:
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label="OldMandrake"
>         root=/dev/hdc1
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
>         read-only
> image=/vmlinuz
>         label="Debian"
>         root=/dev/hdc8
>         boot=/dev/hdc8
>         install=/boot/boot.b
>         map=/boot/map
>         read-only
>
> What should I do?

You are running this while in Mandrake; so mount hdc8 so that lilo can get
to the kernel.  I don't know about putting that boot=/dev/hdc8 in there.  I
would take that and map=/boot/map out of there as well as the
install=/boot/boot.b. Change the first part of the stanza to:

image=/mnt/vmlinuz (that is most likely a link to the kernel in /boot)

Then
mount /dev/hdc8 /mnt

And try /sbin/lilo again.

I usually just copy the kernel and the System.map from /boot of the second
distro into /boot of the one I am using to do lilo.  Then my line for all of
them is image=/boot/vmlinuz-whatever-it-is.

Anita