Re: Which FS to use ?

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:11:42AM +0200, Willem.Smit@sanlam.co.za wrote:
> Hey guys (are there any girls on this list - hmm)
> Which filesystem would you recommend for a biggish (10 gig) partition ? At
> the moment I'm using Ext2fs and I really have to use something else, it's
> just way to slow. So should i use Reiser or Ext3fs ? Or is there maybe
> another fs I can use ?

I remember reading some benchmark to the effect that ReiserFS
outperforms ext3 in terms of speed. But ext3 has some functionality
that ReiserFS lacks. And benchmarks are only benchmarks. Anyway I just
moved two boxen from ext3 to ReiserFS and I noticed a general system
speedup in both cases.

Have you tuned your hd with hdparm? In some cases really makes a
difference.

alex