Re: Connecting to ntl:home UK with Debian

From: Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk>

>A friend of mine is two network cables away from being able to install
>a firewall for his Windoze box. I shall be setting this up, using
>Debian of course.

>He has an ntl:home "broadband" (150kbps) connection via a cable modem
>whose external interface is via coax and connects to the PC either by
>ethernet or USB. The connection is configured under Windoze by means
>of an installation CD. Raw details on the nature of the connection are
>conspicuous by their absence, as is any mention of Linux.
>
>Poking through Networking in his Windoze Control Panel seems to reveal
>TCP/IP drivers for the cable modem and no mention of PPP, so it looks
>to me as if we're probably not using PPPoE. He's configured to
>"Automatically assign IP address on connection" - Windoze DHCP? All his
>DNS settings are "Disabled", so I've no idea how his DNS works.
>
>I would be quite surprised if there isn't someone on this list whose
>Debian box is connected to ntl:home UK, and I would be most grateful
>if you could let me know what kind of connection we are dealing with
>here.

>Thanks,
>--
>Pigeon
> snip

I use a cable modem here in the states which came with a software CD
which I did not even use.  I just plugged the coax cable into the back
of the cable modem, and then used an ethernet cable from that to my
router wan port.  I also use DHCP from my ISP which has their own
assigned DNS addresses.

Chances are if you go to the NTL home page it might tell you the DNS IP
address to use.  Since I have a router I just use what is auto detected
in the config section.  Also if you use a router you can assign static
IP addresses to your computers on your network.  Even though your ISP
is DHCP but I am sure you are very aware of that.

My ISP does not support Linux, but I really do not have any problems
with it working straight out of the box.  If it is a problem it usually
is with my ISP, and involve storm damage, or server maintance.

Rthoreau