Re: gnome-terminal title

Dave Howorth wrote:
> Is there a way to change the title of a gnome-terminal window?

Ashish Ariga replied:
> Depends on your terminal (echo $TERM).
> Commonly it is "<Esc>]0;YourText<Ctrl-G>"
> eg. printf "^[]0;MyTitle^G"

Torsten Reuss replied:
Have a look at the XTerm title mini howto
$ apt-get install doc-linux-text
$ zless /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/Xterm-Title.gz

Then write your own scripts that change the title before starting e.g. mysql.

Thanks folks. I didn't realize all those howtos were there, so that's an extra bonus. Now I've written a little bash function called xtitle so I can live in the past :)

Thanks again,
Dave