Re: Re: Mozilla fonts

Ashish Ariga wrote:

> Turns out that Mozilla and a bunch of other GNOME/GTK2 apps use
> fonts that are configured via some fontconfig. (I don't know
> much about it.)
> fc-list reports fonts that are available through fontconfig.
> Ensure that the path where you installed the fonts are listed in
> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
> Also, KDE apps take fonts from ~/.kde/share/fonts

This is correct. Your answer helped me to find the solution to the
first problem ("where the default display font for Mozilla is
set"): /etc/fonts/fonts.conf makes, e.g., Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
the preferred synonym for "monospace":

<alias>
           <family>monospace</family>
           <prefer>
                   <family>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</family>
                   <family>Andale Mono</family>
                   <family>Courier New</family>
                   <family>Luxi Mono</family>
                   <family>Nimbus Mono L</family>
                   <family>Kochi Gothic</family>
                   <family>AR PL KaitiM GB</family>
                   <family>Baekmuk Dotum</family>
           </prefer>
</alias>

So, I suppose that if you don´t have Bitstream Vera Sans Mono,
Andale Mono will be chosen, etc.

This can be overridden by /etc/fonts/local.conf. When I put in there:

<alias>
        <family>monospace</family>
</alias>

Moz´s default monospace font became, indeed, Courier New.

This is very neat but not every application uses this.

The second problem was the Mozilla print font. From a "strings" on
the mozilla file libgfxps.so I gather that Times-Roman, Helvetica,
and Courier are hard-wired into the Mozilla Postscript module. If
this is so then we can forget about changing the print font
easily. It seems that xprint can be used instead of the default
Postscript module, and can produce prints "as displayed". That
seems even neater but so far I´ve not been able to get xprint to
work. It says it starts; when I re-start it, it says it´s already
running; but it does not show up with ps.

Fonts seem very mysterious indeed. I wish I could find a way to
produce better fonts with gtk1 apps.. for qt apps there is a
program called qtconfig that works very well, but something like
that for gtk apps does not seem to exist.

Regards, Jan