Re: What is the format of a mailboxfile?

on Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 06:33:39PM +0200, Jimmy Johansson (jimmy@update.uu.se) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to create a "mailboxfile" in /var/mail/ and I am just
> wondering what the format for such a file is and how you create one. I am
> not even sure if it is supposed to be a special kind of file or if it is a
> special kind of directory.

This file creation is automatic in most instances.  Don't worry about
doing it manually.

Typical formats are "mbox" (default), MMDF, MH, and Maildir.  There may
be other proprietary formats, but these are the ones you'll encounter
most often.

Mail spool files are virtually always mbox format.

For specific information on formats, some of these are defined in
section 5 of the GNU/Linux manual (I find only mbox listed there).

Peace.

   This sig for rent:  a Signify v1.10 production from http://www.debian.org/