Re: best laptops for debian linux

Andy Firman wrote:

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 01:12:47AM -0700, Jon wrote:
I'm looking to buy a laptop that can easily be set up to run debian
linux.  I do not need a high end graphics card, nor is there a real
need for a big screen.   Being light weight is not a primary factor,
whereas rugged reliability would be.  Can anyone suggest particular
brands and models that fit this description?  Top priority is that
debian linux can be easily installed on the machine, while the other
requirements are less important.

I am on my 3rd IBM Thinkpad and ALL of them ran Debian perfectly.
There is a huge range of Thinkpads so you will easily find one that
fits your requirements.

Thinkpads are very good. I will add that it has been very painful getting Debian to run on a Dell Inspiron 5150. I would avoid getting this laptop if you plan on running any sort of Linux. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it might be more of a chore than you're willing to do.

I've been thinking; wouldn't it be a cool business model to make laptop specific ISOs of a Linux distribution (Debian, for example)? If anyone want to start such a business with me, give me a holler.

Josh