Re: gs-fonts ruin wmaker desktop

At Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:35:57 -0400 (EDT),
John Holland wrote:

> I recently installed Debian (mixed stable/unstable) on a
> laptop. I wanted the nice look of anti-aliased
> fonts. Everything looks great but I found that if the gs-fonts
> were installed it wrecked my wmaker desktop and other gui
> items. I have carefully avoided letting that package go in and
> thus far that is OK. But is there a better solution?

Generic answer:

Maybe you should just explicitly specify what fonts you want as
your menu, title-bar, etc font.  Maybe you need to specify, say,
Vera Mono Sans instead of simply Monospace.  That way you'd get
that particular font rather than the equivalent but "bad-looking"
monospace font installed by gs-fonts.

This is from my experience "fixing" the bad display fonts that
used to appear in Konqueror whenever I install or remove a font
package.