Re: ntpd time slewing

Tom,
	I had exactly the same situation. I pulled my hair out trying to find why one
machine was operating fine whilst another was dropping time at 4 seconds an
hour. I recall that the ntpd on the failing machine was always droping out of
sync when the error became to great.

I went through the same process as you have almost carbon copy.
Someone suggested that the scsi-ide modules may be a cause. Which I thought
was entirely possible as one of my machines had a CD -burner thus has
scsi-ide loaded. I was never able to prove this - removing the module didn't
seem to have great effect.

I did find in the end that biggest impact was which servers I synced to. I
removed the list of servers from the ntp.conf file and narrowed it down to a
couple that seemed not to cause this hugh error from accumulating on the
flaky machine.

This was background work so my debugging process was probably not very
'scientific'

Finally I had to configure a Solaris fileserver with xntpd to act as the local
network ntp server. The flaky debian box seemed to work ok syncing to the
Solaris box - so I left it at that.

The server list in the ntp.conf file on my behaving box is:

server ntp.cs.mu.oz.au
server ntp.adelaide.edu.au
server time.esec.com.au
server tictoc1.tip.CSIRO.AU

Although this is probably half way around the world at least they are a known
good set.

Cheers,
David