Re: Broken Zope, Python, xbase-clients, etc

Russ Cook wrote:
Thanks for the continued help.  Attached are the results of
'whereis python' and 'ls -l /usr/bin/python'.  The symlink
points to python2.3.  And yet, the zope pre-removal script
encounters errors in python1.5, which makes me think it is
explicitly seeking and calling routines from the earlier version.
More thoughts?

Interesting. I'd try apt-get remove python1.5 if nothing
important depends on it.

Before a package is removed, its preremoval script is run.
After removal, the postremoval script is run. These scripts
are in /var/lib/dpkg/info. You could inspect the script and,
run it, but i don't know how messy or disruptive that would be.

fsck the partition

apt-get remove --force-remove-reinstreq --force-depends zope
(IIRC that was already tried)

If that doesn't work, i'd manually delete all the zope files
and directories, shown with dpkg -L zope. Edit /var/lib/dpkg/status
so that zope looks like an uninstalled package.

apt-get install zope

Make a backup of /var/lib/dpkg/status and anything else important.