3c905C-TX IRQ sharing problem

I have a 3C905C-TX network interface card, and am having a problem with the vortex driver and my card; I'm running debian with 2.4.18 kernel.  dmesg reports "eth0: could not reserve IRQ 5", which is indeed the irq that the BIOS is assigning (verified under Windows on the same machine).  The IRQ is shared with a few other devices.  I've changed the IRQ to 10 and 11 via the BIOS, and the driver picks up the newly assigned irq, but still says "could not reserve IRQ x" (10 and 11 are also shared with other devices).  From searching around, it seems to me that the driver should work on a shared irq...can someone confirm this?  Also, the card works fine in the same machine under windows.

If anyone can offer some suggestions to get this working, I'd appreciate it!  Cheers,

Paul