kernel recompile - correct syntax

I'm writing an article about Debian which will be published in a few days (on a well-known GNU/Linux web site). I'm trying to work out the best way to recompile a kernel. I don't want to give out an misinformation, so I need to be sure about the following...

To compile a kernel, I originally thought that all one needed to do (to generate a deb file) was this:

  "make-kpkg clean kernel_imag"

I walked this past a Debian guru, who sent me this reply:

   I suggest that you get people to use a --revision flag for
   make-kpkg and also an
   --append-to-version=-<hostname><revision> so that things
   will work the way they expect wrt LinuxOLD. If you dont use
   --append-to-version and just increment the revision then the
   new kernel when you install it will overwrite the current
   one and the current one will not become LinuxOLD. You need
   to change the version in order for the Linux/LinuxOLD thing
   to work as you might expect.

I'm a little unclear about his syntax. I looked in file /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz

  "make-kpkg --append-to-version -custom.${VER} --revision custom.${VER}
   clean kernel_image"

And I assume here that ${VER} means a number I must supply (1.0 or 10, or whatever).

So what I'm asking is: what is EXACTLY the best syntax to use. Like I said, I'm writing an article - readers will rake me over the coals if I give out information that is ambiguous or unclear in any way.

TIA,
Robert