reinstall problems: console, klogd and modules

Hi,

after dpkg became unworkable, i reinstalled my server.
I encountered a couple of very annoying problems after upgrading to
testing and that's with an almost bare system!
(console problem and logger problem where there before upgrade)

1. The console package config failed. I tried dpkg-reconfigure
console-data, but i get this:
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: console-data is broken or not fully
installed
I then try to install it again via apt-get install console-data
(version 2002.12.04dbs-16) but it complains about dependency
problems and console-data and base-config (v1.70) aren't configured
properly. Obviously base-config depends on console-data and because
console-data isn't configured correcly, base-config doesn't continue.
dpkg --configure -a gives the same error: it tries to configure
console-data and to load be-latin1 and it fails and then the config of
base-config also fails.

Every time i now boot, my console is wrong (qweryty) and it gives a
warning about be-latin1. But i can manually load the correct keyboard
via loadkeys be-latin1 !! I tried coping
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/azerty/be-latin1.kmap.gz to
/etc/console/bootttime.kmap.gz and adjust permissions to 644 but this
doesn't load the correct keyboard at all. When i run the script
/etc/init.d/keymap.sh, it doesn't load the correct keymap either.

What can i do to load the correct keymap (be-latin1) at boot time so i
can also login using an azerty keyboard and how do i reconfigure
console-data so that it will allow base-config to be installed.
It seems every install i do ends up in a keyboard/keymap fight.
It literally takes me more time finding these annoying things that
installing a full base system :)

2. I have a firewall script (iptables) and it's messages are sent to the
console. I know i can turn this off by typing dmesg -n 3 and i can do it
automatically at boottime by adjusting /etc/init.d/klogd and setting
options like KLOGD="-c 3". How come after booting (and not yet being
logged in) messages are sent to tty1? Imagine trying to type your login
and password in qwerty instead of azerty AND firewall log messages
polluting the console. Wow. Talk about annoying. I nearly ate my
keyboard ;) How can i fix this? the logger daemons are started before my
firewall: sysklogd = 10, klogd = 11, firewall script = 19.

3. I recompiled a kernel with this command
make-kpkg --append-to-version=.090903 kernel-image modules-image.
The modules couldn't be loaded at first because the directory was named
2.4.21.090903 as could be expected but modules where being searched in
2.4.21! I then just moved the modules to 2.4.21 and the problem was
solved but why did this happen?

First time i'm actually getting frustrated while using debian.
Anwyay, thanks for any help.

Benedict