Re: Disk I/O stalling whole system ..

> I've noticed similar effects here.  Kernel 2.4.20, but only 1 disk.
> If something pushes the disk hard then most thigns, including xmms
> (which is streaming, not using the disk), becomes unresponsive until
> the heavy disk usage subsides.  (I had figured old hardware had
> something to do with it, but mabye 2.6 will improve this, as someone
> else suggested)
>
> | When renicing the copying processes it works ok, but I am not sure
> | if that is the solution. And if that is, how would I do this
> | efficiently. Looking a top and renicing by hand is a bit annoying to
> | me ;-)
>
> Run the command with 'nice' in the first place.  Eg :
>
>     $ nice -n 19 cp foo bar

Derrick,

  alright I will fallback to that if I have to copy large amounts of data, but
usually I am using konqueror to copy files ... Is there anyway, but  a
script, to mass renice process with some shared characteristics like the
command? I mean something like killall, but of course it shouldn't kill but
renice ;-)

Cheers,
Mariano