Re: How do I make quality PDFs from LaTeX?

Jonathan Matthews <jaycee@jaycee.uklinux.net> writes:

> I'm trying to get a "nice" looking PDF from a latex document.  I'm using
> the normal article class, with no other packages loaded.  I'm using a
> couple of symbols that I wouldn't expect to find on a keyboard (namely
> \times and \equiv) but apart from that I don't think I'm using anything
> unusual.
>
> I'm using pdflatex to output the PDF, and I'm aiming for print quality,
> not screen quality, if they're not related.
>
> I'm seeing a variety of problems in the .pdf output, but latex by itself
> doesn't exhibit any of them when I create DVI output.
> I'm running up-to-date sid with tetex-{base,bin,extra} installed.  No
> manual configuration's been done beyond apt-get's efforts.

So am I, and I can't reproduce any of your problems.  Maybe a sample
of the LaTeX source would help.  This file should exhibit most of the
problems you mentioned, but looks fine to me (pdflatex; xpdf):

(With both "fi" and "ffi" ligatures, for bonus points.)

	-- Abra Mitchell