Re: Ctrl-Alt-Fn and Ctrl-Alt-Bksp switch to blank screens in X

Edward Ho wrote:
Recently I've installed Woody on my Dell CPt laptop (Mobile P2-400).
The installation was started from scratch using the bf2.4 floppy+http
(not from cdrom), so I'm sure my system has the latest stable release.

Since GUI is required for my engineering work, I used apt-get to
install the x-window-system-core and wmaker packages after I'm satisfy
with the network and apm setup in console mode. No [gkx]dm was
installed, and I typed 'startx'  manually after user login to go into
X.

The problem is that once I am in X, I cannot go back to text concole
mode any more without resetting the system by Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Ctrl-Alt-Bksp does kill the X server, but I am left with a blank screen
without the prompt. The system is not completely hung, as Ctrl-Alt-Del
can be issued to shut it down gracefully.

Similarly, Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] does not give me a virtual console as
documented. I only get a blank screen. Ctrl-Alt-F7 would get me back to
X, and I can continue my work there.

Can someone kindly give me some clues on how to debug this?

Probably a few answers in the archives of debian-laptop.