pppoe bad: connects to ppp0, rather than eth0

1. Problem in a Nutshell
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My pppoe setup is somehow using the wrong interface - ppp0,
not eth0! Help!

2. Background
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm tryng to set up ADSL with the OvisLink ADSL modem/router
supplied to me by my ISP, Toronto FreeNet.
The LINK light is on, and all cables seem correctly connected.

I am on a fully up-to-date Woody (stable release, kernsl 2.4.x).

I am following the instructions in
/usr/share/doc/pppoe/README.Debian,
but with one further tweak. That tweak consists in adding
to /etc/network/interfaces
the lines
((QUOTE))
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet ppp
        provider dsl-provider
((/QUOTE)),
as recommended at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/
debian-user-200303/msg03171.html.

A quick check of ifconfig eth0 suggests that eth0 is configured
as appropriate for pppoe:
((QUOTE))
veritas:/etc/ppp/peers# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:05:5D:29:E3:58
	  TX packets:63 errors:0 dropped:0
		      overruns:0 carrier:0
	                collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
		          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX
			  bytes:3780 (3.6 KiB)
		            Interrupt:10
			    Base
			    address:0xa000
((/QUOTE))

3. Signs of Trouble
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to /usr/share/doc/pppoe/README.Debian,
when I do pon dsl-provider,
the plog command should reveal something like
((QUOTE))
pppd[216]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
((/QUOTE)).
But, alas, the plog command instead reveals
((QUOTE))
pppd[1604]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/5
((/QUOTE)).

It is perhaps already a sign of trouble that plog reveals
((QUOTE))
Sep  8 23:00:53 veritas pppd[1604]: Using interface ppp0
((/QUOTE)).

4. How to Debug?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The really odd thing about these anomalous plog reports is that
my /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider
makes it VERY clear to pppoe that the interface to use is eth0,
not ppp0:
((QUOTE))
pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1452
((/QUOTE))

What should I look at next in my debugging efforts? How can I isolate
the cause of my Woody's selecting a wrong interface?

Tom Karmo
http://www.metascientia.com