RE: ldap integration to standard unix utilities

This page was mentioned on the list before, but check out
http://homex.subnet.at/~max/ldap/, Using OpenLDAP on Debian Woody to
server Linux and Samba users.

I don't know if it will help you with your specific problems with the
standard Unix utilities, but it is certainly a great place for more
Debian-centric LDAP information.

-Jason