Re: Disk I/O stalling whole system ..

Thus spake Mariano Kamp:
> Hi,
>
>  when copying from one ide disk to another ide disk on the the same
>  controller the whole systems stalls. I am running 2.4.19 on unstable.
>
>   When renicing the copying processes it works ok, but I am not sure
>   if that is the solution. And if that is, how would I do this
>   efficiently. Looking a top and renicing by hand is a bit annoying to
>   me ;-)

Welcome to the wonderful world of IO scheduling in the 2.4 kernels.  The
noticable impact of such IO should be reduced in 2.4.22, but for a real
fix you'll have to wait for the new IO scheduling code in the 2.6 tree.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

"She feels for me, and I feel for her, and we're free to express it.."
"--*naked*." -Cabot/Crow (as Cabot). #519