A dhcp problem (I think)

On a new install of Debian (Testing) on my laptop (Compaq evo n600c), my network adapter is not getting an IP. When I run dhclient, it gives me an error message : "socket: Protocol not available. Make sure CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are defined in the kernel config" (or words to that effect).

I assume this must be a kernel issue, as I was getting an IP until I recompiled. But the kernel config help document seems to suggest that the above 2 settings aren't required, and I can't really see how a kernel option would be affecting dhcp (but I'm a bit of a linux newbie).

Oh, I should add that networking works fine if I set an IP and add a default route and dns server manually, so I take it there's no problem with my NIC or driver for that.

Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

CB.