Do all debian kernel packages require an initrd?

Tonight, I tried to apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.21-4-k7 (AMD Athlon
system). During the installation phase, I was given a warning that this
image requires an initial ramdisk - which I am not using, as far as I am
aware, with the stock 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel that originally came with
woody (now sarge).

Are all debian kernel packages created with initrd? If so, is justing
proceeding with the install sufficient, or is there some special way to
modify my menu.lst for grub to handle this (the install gives
instructions for lilo, but I don't use lilo).

Thanks.

nl