A little more on my nfs problem...

Also, some more stuff I've been noticing:

1) My understanding was that /var/lib/nfs/xtab was the file actually
consulted by mountd to respond to an nfs mount request. Interestingly,
that file only contains the info on /home, but not on the /shared
export, even though /etc/exports includes both.

The same directory has a file called etab, and that file does contain
both exports.

Issuing exportfs -a -v prints out two lines, indicating both exports are
being processed, but xtab doesn't change. I don't understand this.
exportfs -r gives the same behavoir.

I tried exporting another directory (/tmp) by adding it to /etc/exports
and reissuing exportfs -a -> the new export got added to etab but not
xtab, and in any case I could not mount the new share either - same
connection refused error from the workstation.

2) I thought maybe the problem was that the /shared mount point is
Reiserfs, thinking (without good reason) that maybe there is a problem
with nfs exporting reiser filesystems, but the /tmp export I
experimented with is ext2 (as is /home, the export that seems to work,
at least for now).

I suspect there is something wrong with mountd, and that it died after
letting me mount the one export that works, but I cannot figure out what
it is. There are no error messages in syslog to help me.

nl