Re: where is netscape 4 in testing?

on Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:09:46PM +0200, Alexander Mikhailian (mikhailian@mova.org) wrote:
> I recently upgraded to testing and found out that netscape 4 is missing
> in the list of packages. Where can I get a working version of netscape 4
> for testing?

Noteing without repeating that NS 4 is non-free, proprietary,
unmaintained, and never part of Debian aside from an installer.

There are numerous vastly better browser alternatives available today, a
review of many is at:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/NixBrowsers

Netscape provides an archive of versions of its browsers back to 2.x at:

    http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive.html

If you're interested in a set of ancient product for compatibility
purposes, go there.  Install these under /usr/local or /opt (I symlink
the latter to /usr/local/opt on my systems).

If the issue is browser compatibility with broken web transaction sites:

  - Inform the site maintainer that NS 4.x is three generations and four
    years old.  I tcontains numerous compliance issues with web
    standards (see http://w3c.org/) and unaddressed security holes.

  - You can often get around user-agent string tests by changing the
    user-agent string sent by your browser, or if using a sitewide
    proxy, all users on your site.  My own preferred user-agent string
    is "W3C standards are important.  Stop fucking obsessing over
    user-agent already."   You can find instructions on how to set
    user-agent string (and why you might want to do so) at

        http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/UserAgentString

    Some browsers (Konqueror, Opera) allow specifying an arbitrary
    user-agent string, including several preconfigured strings to
    impersonate other browsers.  This works for the vast majority of
    sites whose designers are stupid enough to perform user-agent string
    discrimination.

  - Go ahead and install an ancient browser, but realize that you are
    compromising the security and integrity of your system by doing so.

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/