firebird woody backport

Hey folks,

After visiting mozilla.org recently, I got kind of keen to try
firebird, so I checked apt-get.org for a backport, and found a couple
of sources there; the problem is that they want to beat the crap out of
my system for their dependencies:

deb http://people.debian.org/~nobse/debian/woody/backported ./
wants to remove 71 packages, including abiword, kde-base, and modconf
wants to upgrade about a dozen packages, including debconf, gcc, and
xfree86-common...

I thought the whole point of backports was to *avoid* having to upgrade
my whole system in order to install one package.  Is there something I
should know about what's going on here, or is this a broken backport?

Both
  deb http://debian.netfarm.it/experimental/ woody sherpya/
and
  deb http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~sdier/debian updates/wup/
croak as soon as I do an aptitude (or apt-get) update, giving this
error:

W: Couldn't stat source package list
<URL snipped>
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to update the package lists to correct these missing
files

So... any ideas whether there's something I should be doing to make
these backports work, or whether I should be trying to compile firebird
myself...
And if the latter, this would be my first attempt at compiling from
source: is it feasible or would I be getting into a huge complex
project?

	Thanks for any ideas
--