proftp. Accessing an FTP server

I've got proftp running and it works great, in fact perfect inside our company LAN. So, I thought everything was perfect. HA!

Outside in the real world, I am able (through a terminal session) to ftp in (login and password checked) but I can't do anything. Here as an example is what happens inside the LAN when I issue the command "ls"

Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
-rwxrwxr--   1 536      540         13824 Sep  4 22:15 Test.xls
drwx------   2 0        daemon       4096 Aug 27 20:07 bin
drwx------   2 0        daemon       4096 Aug 27 20:03 etc
226-Transfer complete.
226 Quotas off

However, outside the LAN I get the following errors:

Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
500 EPSV not understood.
227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,1,11,18,205).

Any ideas?

BTW, trying to use a web browser for ftp outside the LAN, just times out.

Curtis