Re: [ANNOUNCE] New ATI drivers available

 --- "Scott C. Linnenbringer" <sl@eskimo.com> escribió:
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 03:08:11 +0200 (CEST), Roberto Sanchez
> <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> wrote:
>
> > I just checked out the ATI website, and they have some new linux
> > drivers. The new version is 3.2.5, with versions for Xfree86 4.1, 4.2,
> > and 4.3.  I just installed the drivers and built the new kernel
> > module, and I can already see that things have improved (no more
> > segfaults when running fgl_glxgears, and about a 2% boost in fps in
> > the vanilla glxgears program).  I think that they are well woth the
> > effort, especially if you have a newer card.
>
> I've been using the schneider-digital drivers for awhile now with a
> RADEON 9800 and XFree86 4.3 ... so far no problems and am very happy
> with the performance. If I recall correctly, schneider-digital is just
> the more bleeding-edge front to ATi's releases.
>
> I wonder if I should bother switching ... or just be content with what I
> have now.

It may not be worth it in your case.  I know that as a victim of the nForce2/
ATi video adapter problem, it was worth if for me.  Particularly since I would
occasionally get segfaults from X doing wierd things to the card, which I am
almost positive has to do with the nForce2 AGPGART interface.

Either way, it was relatively painless and took all of about 10 minutes and
a restart of the X server.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es