debian/gnome and cmi8738 - no sound! :(

hello alltogether!! i've got debian 3.0r1 on unstable (via dist-upgrade) and gnome 2.2 installed. my soundcard has a cmi8738 chip on it, but i just can't get it to work :((

the kernel modules cmpci, sound and soundcore are active (modconf), and i have added my user ("alex") to the group "audio", still no sound in gnome, although the error message after starting gnome doesn't appear anymore (it had something to with /dev/mixer (or so) btw). also, the volume control at the top right is also adjustable now...but NO sound i have also checked the 2 checkboxes in the sound preferences, but still no sound... i have tried to doubleclick .wav files in gnome directly -> no sound, not even a program was opened, the event sounds in the sound preferences also do no work. what can i do?? what am i doing wrong?

thx in advance
greetz
Alex

ps. i also found out until now:

alexlinux:/home/alex# lsof | grep /dev/dsp*
grep: /dev/dsp1: no matching device found
grep: /dev/dsp2: no matching device found
grep: /dev/dsp3: no matching device found
alexlinux:/home/alex# lsof | grep /dev/mixer*
grep: /dev/mixer1: no matching device found
grep: /dev/mixer2: no matching device found
grep: /dev/mixer3: no matching device found
alexlinux:/home/alex# ps aux | grep esd arts
grep: arts: file or directory not found

(translated from german)