Re: How to tell apt-get or dpkg to forget about a package?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Thanks Russell! I did not know about the reference you
quoted. But... I did not explain well enough!

I do NOT want to remove the kernel-image package
because it will remove my kernel which works very
well. I just want "him" not to try to reinstall,
because it is already installed, except for the initrd
image which does not matter because it is not used by
Knoppix!

I cannot believe nobody else has run into this, they
must not use make-kpkg nor the booted Knoppix CD to
customize a kernel.

Reading man dpkg I do not see an option that says: "do
not try to reinstall the package"...

I haven't used kpkg for a long time. When you
remove a package from the system, it doesn't usually
remove the .deb file, so you can use dpkg -i to reinstall
it. You could try making a copy of it just in case.