Key mapping using <Alt> + [ , etc.

Please excuse me for sending an Xfree86 related question
to this list.

On a US keyboard I'm trying to generate the norwegian characters
"ae", "oslash" and "aring". I would like the following mapping

<Alt> + [  --> "ae"
<Alt> + |  --> "oslash"
<Alt> + ]  --> "aring"

It doesn't necessarily have to be the <Alt> key, however, any
sesible two-key combination will do.

I have managed to map the norwegian characters to the []\ keys
by running a script

xmodmap -e 'keysym bracketleft = ae AE bracketleft braceleft'
xmodmap -e 'keysym bracketright = aring Aring bracketright braceright'
xmodmap -e 'keysym backslash = oslash Ooblique backslash bar'

and then map the keys back to normal by running

xmodmap -e 'keysym bracketleft = bracketleft braceleft ae AE'
xmodmap -e 'keysym bracketright = bracketright braceright aring Aring'
xmodmap -e 'keysym backslash = backslash bar oslash Ooblique'

This works allright but is a rather primitive solution, as I have to
run the script each time I want to change the mappings. Can anyone
help me out?

By the way, before someone suggests it, using a norwegian keyboard
is NOT a solution. After switching to a HappyHacker keyboard last
year I have become totally addicted, and will never return to using
one of those oversized keyboards again. And the HHKB does not come in
norwegian.

Best regards
Paal

--
Pål Dahle                                     Norwegian Computing Center
Research Scientist                            Gaustadalléen 23