Re: OT: RAID Controllers

on Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 05:35:02PM -0500, Jacob S. (stormspotter@6texans.net) wrote:
> I'm still a little new to the RAID side of the world and the hardware
> howto doesn't have the information I'm looking for.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for good hardware RAID(5)
> controllers (mainly SCSI, but possibly IDE too) that are supported by
> Linux?

My experience strongly suggests SW RAID, or a good SCSI RAID controller.

My experience with 3Ware cards on RAID 0/1/5 systems is decidely mixed,
likely a combination of issues with both 3Ware and ATA drive flakiness.

SCSI will be much more robust on both counts.

Peace.

    We are the unwilling... led by the unqualified... to do the
    unnecessary...  for the ungrateful...
    -- GI in Vietnam, 1970