Re: IDE bus rescan?

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 04:03:30PM +0100, Paladin wrote:
> Does anyone know some way to force a rescan to the IDE bus?
>
> I have a defective IDE drive that almost never is detected by the
> BIOS, but some few times it is. I needed to force a rescan so that I
> didn't have to be rebooting all the time! :/

You don't really need to rescan the IDE bus. Linux doesn't use the BIOS
for disk access, it just needs it for booting (the same applies to most
modern PC operating systems). If you tell Linux to mount a device it
will just try to mount the device, and if there's nothing there or the
hardware doesn't work it will give you an error.

By the way, SCSI is different. You actually do need to rescan a SCSI bus
to pick up new devices.

--
Michael Heironimus