Re: Traction (was Re: OT: Debian Mailinglist server slow?)

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 03:04:58AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Interestingly enough, if you're in the north Willamette Valley, get
> yourself to downtown or Northeast Portland and hop on the 8 NE 15th
> Ave to Portland or the 8 JACKSON PARK to US-VA Hospital.  This is a
> very steep bus route, TriMet is starting to introduce diesel-electric
> busses.  On SW Campus Drive (which has about a 200 foot elevation gain
> in it's single block), these puppies *fly* up the hill like it's flat,
> while the diesel-hydraulic busses struggle up the hill in first gear
> and do zero to 15 in about 20 seconds (pedal to the metal) pulling out
> of a stop on that hill.

Fascinating. How do they compare on raw bhp and power-to-weight ratio?
What kind of generator and motor technology are they using to get the
weight down? Do they have a bank of auxiliary batteries for
regenerative braking and starting boost?

> Electrified trolley lines (you know, a bus with a pole going to an
> overhead line) used to have a pretty good ROI as well, though I don't
> think they do any more with the advent of fuel cell and
> diesel-electric busses, which are starting to be adopted in cities
> whose planners aren't retarded.

Fuel cells? Already? Cool. I want one for my bicycle.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons