Debian-hardware newbie question

Hi list,
after using redhat for 3 years finally I have changed to the *GREATEST*
debian-Linux. it was the mercy of God the day when I first saw it at my
friend's PC.  I have found almost 90% of S/W in Debian . JUST COOL

but its H/W detection during installation is not so smooth. I have also seen
Knopix which is actually based on debian. so my question is * is it possible
to have knoppix-like H/W detection under Debian or has it already been
inbuilt in debian ? * please let me know .

thanks in advanced

PS: PLEASE CC TO ME, SINCE I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THIS LIST