"route" issue

Greetings list,
Debian newbie here :) After 4 hours of googling and searching
mailing lists, I throw myself on your tender mercies....

I have a problem with portsentry in that I cannot remove
blocked IPs.  The portsentry.conf is configured to use
"route add -host $TARGET$ reject" for any $TARGET that crosses
its path - in my previous experience "route del -host $TARGET$ reject"
would remove the offender from the reject route. However on this
machine I get "SIOCDELRT: no such process" and the target remains
in the routing table.
The box is running testing/unstable and route is version
1.98 from nettools 1.60.

Anybody have any advice for me apart from RTFM (I have rtfmed
all morning)?

ttfn, Nick.