Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 06:20, Anders Arnholm wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 03:04:28AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:18:14 +0200
> > Anders Arnholm <anders@arnholm.nu> wrote:
> >     Yes, but vim uses tabstop to determine how many spaces to put in.  Hence
> > tabstop to 4, expandtabs on, shiftwidth to 4.  Tabstops to know what to do
> > when we hit tab, expandtabs on so we don't send it out to other people,
> > shiftwidth to know what to do when we want to reindent.
>
> SO the reason is to inport bad fomrated code, and make that code better
> formated. For me thats dosn't make med have to change my editor. As this
> still needs a manual step, whan it happens I can change my tabstop to
> fix it in that buffer only.

Hello... I think you need to stop for a moment and actually read the
messages you are receiving. This has nothing to do with badly formatted
code. I repeat, nothing.

Here is the desired goal: Use 4 spaces for indent levels and have no
tabs in the file.

Here is a very easy way to achieve that which does exactly what I want
every time: :set ts=4 et

It works. period. There is no "better way". There is only "accomplishes
that goal", or "doesn't accomplish that goal". This has nothing to do
with other people's code. This is what I do for *my* code. Please
understand that just because the word "tab" is used in the options that
doesn't mean this actually has to do with the \t character

-Mark