kernel compile issues

I have a old laptop, a Toshiba 320CDT, 233Mhz PII MMX, 128Mb.
Woody has installed and I have compiled 4.2.18 sucessfully many times.

After tryting a few other distros on this laptop, I wanted to go back to
woody, but after compiling 4.2.18 and rebooting, it will not start.

After the 'Linux............' it just reboots.

I can boot with the OldLinux ok, are there any logs I should be looking at ?
...checking the config (menuconfig), I cannot see anything which might cause
this behavior, if any thing it's a pretty light build.

Any ideas anyone ?

thanks

matt