Re: modutils and module-init-tools duplicating work

 --- Micha Feigin <michafeigin@yahoo.com> escribió:
> > Because, as of kernel 2.5.48 the kernel modules now end in .ko and have a
> > completely different internal structure.  The new module-init-tools does
> not
> > handle old style modules, but recognizes and passes them on to modutils.
> > The old modutils knows nothing of the new formats and will barf all over
> itself
> > if you attempt to build, load, remove, or otherwise operate on a module
> with
> > it.
> >
> > The short answer is: because they are not cross compatible.
> >

> I'm afraid that you are just speculating and didn't bother to actually
> read the code. Just for the fun of it I just commented out the line that
> checks for kernel version 2.5.48 and up, i.e.
> # [ -f /proc/modules -a ! -f /proc/ksyms ] || exit 0
> and fixed a cosmetic bug with the echo that prints what module is
> echo " $module"
> instead of
> echo " $module\t"
> either the \t is not needed, or its supposed to be echo -e and probably
> a \n
> I then tried it out on 2.4 and 2.6 and it works like a charm on both, no
> barfing or anything. Will most probably also work with 2.2 kernel. The
> only difference between them (except for cosmetic ones) is the check
> whether to run depmod. I'm aware of the .ko extension and the only place
> it appears is when checking whether to run depmod, and .o is also
> checked in that instance.
> Having both of them is most certainly redundant which translate into a
> bug.

You are correct inthat I did not read the code.  I guess I should have stated
my answer more clearly.  However, I do know for a fact that modutils will _not_
load new style kernel modules.  I found this out when I tried to upgrade to
2.5.75 without also upgrading to module-init-tools.  I also know that the
differnces in the modules are more than cosmetic because my binary-only nforce2
network driver required a patch to be compiled against the newer kernels.  Same
thing with the binary-only driver for the winmodem in my laptop.

I guess a better way for me to respond would have been that modutils is not
forward comaptible.  Sorry for the mixup.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es