Re: VIA CPU's - cooling with ICE - shuttle - heat

Chris Wilcox wrote:

True, but I think this topic was started by someone asking about gaming performance, in which case the Via chip is bluntly a no-no....

But for stuff like e-mail serving, web-serving, and likely firewalling the Via chip is quite possibly an excellent candidate.

Regards,

nry

I'm also curious about using these as an 800MHz version (also fanless) and a 20GB HDD for a web/email server running the following:

postfix
procmail
spamassassin
clamav

apache
postgres
mod_perl

Those are the primary applications I was looking for.

Consider notebook hard drives run 2W active and 0.3W idle I can use an 800MHz "micro server" and only use a max of about 7-8W of power. That's a night-light. Imagine how much time this will run on a 800VA UPS!!!

I think it would be very practical to have a low power server sitting at home for email and web pages. I have been able to find some benchmarks, but they are mostly based on Frames Per Second (ie gaming). Servers really don't care about fps. Even so, VIA is fast catching up to machines that run 6X their power consumption. That's noteworthy.

--
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
		-- Oscar Wilde