Re: Securing networks

Hello Bret,

What threats are you trying to protect against?  That decides what you
need to take care of.

Not quite sure - hackers and the like?

My point is that, like in the Window$ world, simply saying "put on a
firewall, and an anti-virus program and you're done.  And keep it up to
date" doesn't really address the issue.

My thinking exactly.

I recommend you buy a book about securing GNU/Linux systems, and use
that to guide your understanding and choices.  Currently I'm using Real
World Linux Security.  I'm just getting started.

Is it possible for you to recommend a book?

SSH seems to be able to handle this.  I haven't seen anyone speak
against it, except for the possibility of performance issues if one
tries to cram too much over the pipe.  That would be a problem with just
a network connection anyway, so you'd have to design for that anyway.

Yeah I use SSH internally, but I'm not quite sure how SSH works
externally via NAT?  After all, I can't quite type "ssh -l piers
192.168.0.1".

Thanks very much for your help :)

Cheers - Piers