Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:54:01PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 10:14:14AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> > Absolutely.  In fact, it's probably a good idea to learn C++ without knowing
> > C first in that you'll probably be much more comfortable with the style if
> > you're not subconsciously viewing it as just "C with some extra stuff".
>
> I seem to recall the entire point of C++ was to be C with some extra
> stuff, as told by the creators.  Wouldn't it make sense to think the
> same way?

The trouble is the philosophy of the extra stuff is so different from
that of the existing stuff that thinking the same way is dangerous.
There was a thread recently on what happens if you allocate storage in
C++, assign the pointer to another pointer and then free the storage
using a different pointer from the one you allocated it with. You can
do this in C, but apparently in C++ there are several reasons why it
may fail.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons