[OT] open source distribution

Hopefully a (quick) question...if I make a product which is open source I
don't have to *distribute* the product, do I?

Background: a potential client may or may not understand the benefits of
open source work. If I make something for them which is licensed under
GFL and uses other products, which I have written and are under the same
license, is there any obligation on my part (or the client's part) to
distribute the software? i.e. can something be open source but not
available (for lack of a better term).

thanks for your thoughts,
emma

--