Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2003 #2558

I installed Woody on a similar raid array.  Woody recognised the array and the
setup proceeded normally, even partitioning and formatting.  My understanding
is that you would not normally format each disk separately, at least not for
Raid0.  I do not have access to the particular machine at the moment but from
memory the array was set up as /dev/ataraid/.  So the root partition, for
instance, might be /dev/ataraid/d1p1 for disk 1 partition 1.  If my memory is
faulty I will post again to correct if no one else does.

I am planning to upgrade the distribution to unstable and install a 2.4.21
kernel and devfs.  I'm a bit apprehensive about devfs with the array.  I'll
also have to compile my own kernel as the stock kernel has the necessary
support in modules which does not help much on booting.

What I suggest you need to do to get the setup you want (ie; shared data disk
non-bootable from the raid) is first set up the array in Windows.  If you
boot into windows it should be recognised and you should be able to partition
and format it.  Once it is working in Windows boot into Linux.  You then need
to load the appropriate modules with modprobe, being at least ataraid and the
appropriate module for your promise chip, probably pdc202xx_new.  I'm not
sure if you need pdcraid.  Once the array is recognised you should be able to
mount it without difficulty.

Sorry I can't be more specific at the moment but I am away from the machine in
question.  Let me know if you need further help and I will do my best to
assist.

Darryl